Monday, September 23, 2024

UF students living in dorms using the new Windows 8 operating system have wireless Internet access again.

The Department of Housing and Residence Education completed a code upgrade for campus housing locations Tuesday. Access points for the rest of campus are scheduled for upgrades Monday, Housing Network and Systems staff members wrote in an email.

During the residence halls’ upgrades, access points in each room rebooted, causing disconnection. Students were asked to use the DHNet Wired Service via Ethernet cables to access the Internet.

The timing of the change may have been inconvenient for many, but it was necessary due to Windows 8’s release, the staff wrote. Windows 8 launched to the general public Oct. 26.

Applied mathematics sophomore Freddie Sargent, 19, a Beaty Towers West resident, said the disconnection posed a problem for him and his roommates.

“Our rooms do not have enough Ethernet ports to simultaneously be on the Internet at the same time,” he said. “It caused an inability to do my normal routine in the comfort of my own room.”