Monday, September 23, 2024

The time for finding new internships and jobs for the spring semester is now. With that being said, it is of the utmost importance to be a well-rounded candidate in the interview process for future employment opportunities. Not only is it important to possess the right qualifications for the position, but it’s also important to look the part. Here is the ultimate guide to dressing professional on your next internship or job interview.

Business Casual:

Even when the occasion calls for casual attire it is still important to carefully select your outfit. If the event you are attending is business related or will give you a chance to impress future employers, it is a must that you still look effortlessly well put together. Jeans would not be an acceptable option for both men and women in a casual professional setting especially if you have not yet landed the position.

A potential outfit for a woman would be something along the lines of a blouse tucked into dress pants or a pencil skirt topped with a light cardigan. Your shoes should correspond well with the outfit so perhaps ballerina flats, sandals or casual heels. Since it is casual attire, feel free to experiment with color and accessories!

An idea for an outfit for men would be dress pants paired with a collared shirt whether it be a polo or button down. Matching this outfit with some dress shoes would tie the look together without looking too formal.

Business Formal:

It is recommended that anyone attending an interview of any kind dress in business formal attire unless the employer instructs you otherwise, it is always better to be overdressed than it is to be under dressed.

The goal is for you to appear very clean, sharp, and not over the top; when it comes to business formal attire less is always more. This means that minimal jewelry and color should be worn because the objective is not to draw attention to your outfit but to you as the best candidate for the position. As far as jewelry goes keeping it plain and simple with a wristwatch is acceptable for both men and women. Women can even take it a step further and wear a dainty necklace or a string of pearls if they chose but it is not advised to go any further than that.

Business formal attire should be neutral in color for the most part. You should wear colors such as your typical whites, blacks, navy blues and browns. If you do wish to wear color make sure it is more on the darker side of the color spectrum because bright colors often times can give off a playful vibe rather than the serious vibe you want to give off in an interview.

It is really essential to look organized and clean this can be achieved by making sure all clothing items are clean and pressed before wearing them.

A potential business formal outfit for both men and women would be the suit pant and jacket combo. For example, women could wear a button down shirt tucked into dress pants paired with a blazer; shoes paired with this outfit should be close-toed pumps that are not too tall. Women have the option of opting for a pencil skirt rather than dress pants. If you prefer to wear a pencil skirt it is important to wear a skirt that is the acceptable length, which is about knee length.

Men should always wear a tie when dressing in business formal attire; the tie should match up with the waistline and not fall below the belt buckle. An example of an outfit for men would be a dress shirt tucked into dress pants and belted with a black or brown belt, the tie worn should correspond with the rest of the outfit and the outfit should be paired with dress shoes.