Sunday, September 22, 2024

Patric Young, Gators to be tested after early start

<p>Florida center Patric Young (4) dunks the ball during an 84-35 win  against Alabama State on Nov. 11 at the O’Connell Center. Young scored 12 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in the victory.</p>

Florida center Patric Young (4) dunks the ball during an 84-35 win  against Alabama State on Nov. 11 at the O’Connell Center. Young scored 12 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in the victory.

For the Gators, this season’s first five games have been a cakewalk.

Florida defeated all five of its opponents by an average margin of 23.8 points and is second in the country in scoring defense, allowing only 48.4 points per game.

The Gators smothered then-No. 22 Wisconsin, outmuscled Middle Tennessee and outhustled UCF.

“Either we’re just playing at a high level right now, or I guess other teams haven’t been able to match our intensity and energy,” junior center Patric Young said. “We haven’t had to face much adversity in the games that we’ve played.”

No. 7 Florida could see its first true test tonight at 9 when it squares off against Marquette (5-1) in the O’Connell Center for a rematch of last year’s Sweet 16.

The contest kicks off a difficult three-game stretch for UF that features road games against Florida State on Dec. 5 and No. 9 Arizona on Dec. 15.

“We’re getting a chance to find out a lot more about ourselves,” coach Billy Donovan said. “Clearly, as it relates to maybe most schools across the country, I think ours has got to be one of the more challenging non-conference schedules.”

In last year’s NCAA Tournament, the Gators defeated the Golden Eagles 68-58 to advance to the Elite Eight.

In 2011-12, then-seniors Darius Johnson-Odom and Jae Crowder scored 46.9 percent of Marquette’s points as the Golden Eagles finished second in the Big East.

UF also lost two key players since last season. Starting point guard Erving Walker graduated, and guard Brad Beal bolted for the NBA Draft and was selected No. 3 overall by the Washington Wizards.

“Both of us have new faces on our teams,” senior guard Kenny Boynton said. “They’ve lost their two primary scorers, but now they’re more of a balanced team.”

Added Donovan: “Their team kind of went as Crowder and [Johnson-Odom] went, and those other guys filled in. … They really have the potential to be better than they were a year ago.”

Marquette’s only loss this season was a 72-71 defeat to Butler at the Maui Invitational, when guard Rotnei Clarke shocked the Golden Eagles with a desperation three-point heave that beat the buzzer.

Florida and Marquette are both deep and balanced.

Six Golden Eagles average at least seven points per game.

Juniors and leading scorers Davante Gardner, Vander Blue and Jamil Wilson are Marquette’s top talents.

Four of the Gators’ five starters average double-figure points.

With junior point guard Scottie Wilbekin (suspension) and junior forward Casey Prather (multiple concussions) back in the mix, UF’s rotation is 11 players deep.

“It’s going to be anybody’s night for our team,” Young said. “That’s how balanced I think we are. Scottie’s coming off the bench, knocking down a lot of shots. You’ve got Casey, who can affect the game with his athleticism and his energy. If lineups switch up however they do, guys off the bench are going to be ready to step in and just pick up the slack.”