Sunday, September 22, 2024

Gators’ men thriving as women struggle during fall season

Florida’s swimming and diving programs have had very different seasons.

The men’s team has soaked up the spotlight, posting an undefeated record through five meets.

At the All Florida Invitational on Sept. 28, UF claimed the first of its two victories against FSU.

But being ranked No. 2 doesn’t matter much to the men.

“It’s nice to read, but it doesn’t really mean anything at this point in the season,” sophomore Matt Elliot said.

Meanwhile, the women’s team has fallen short in four of its six meets, with its only wins being the All-Florida Invitational and a dual-meet against South Carolina.

Junior Brad deBorde said he’s tried to motivate the women’s team by establishing himself as a vocal leader.

“I don’t think they’re worried about having their heads down,” he said. “This is just a stepping stone for them to get better. At the end of the day, it’s only about the end of the year.”

He said the women’s team’s youth could be a cause for their slow start.

“Disappointment obviously sets in, but you don’t want to show it,” associate head coach Anthony Nesty said.

Staying positive is key, Nesty said.

For senior Jamie Bohunicky, staying positive has been an issue.

Bohunicky said she is worried about her future, which she hopes includes law school.

Her apprehensions have led to a difficult season in the pool.

She said at times she has been “going through the motions.”

The women’s team also needs to block out fatigue in order to succeed, she said.

“You should not let your tiredness be an excuse,” Bohunicky said. “You shouldn’t let it get the best of you.”

She believes Florida “should be able to dig down deeper” because of the way the team trains.

Bohunicky is confident in her team’s ability to turn the season around.

The men and women will head to Columbus, Ohio, to compete in the Ohio State Invitational on Friday.

The meet will last three days. For the men, it’s a chance to tack on another victory.

For the women, it’s a chance to set the tone for the second half of the season.

“It’ll be a little elevated,” deBorde said of the talent the Gators will face. “It’ll be tough for us to compete with them. I think we’re ready to face that challenge.”