Monday, September 23, 2024

Wisdom I’ve gained from cheesecake

I was convinced I hated cheesecake growing up, but I can’t quite recall why.

Perhaps it was that odd taste, the strange consistency or that this cake-wannabe lacked the icing of its bready cousin. Regardless, I was not a fan, and there was no swaying that confident 12-year-old from his position.

Oh, how times have changed.

I found myself Trojan-horsed a year ago by a friend’s freshly prepared pumpkin cheesecake. “Supripri,” as we shall call her, was too well-intentioned to shut down when she approached me with a cheesecake she made just for me.

I can be stubborn, but I’m a sucker for anything laced with pumpkin. Anyone who’s tasted an Einstein Bros Bagels pumpkin muffin will understand why.

Surprisingly, Supripri’s confections wooed my taste buds into renegotiating their prior vehemence.

Don’t get me wrong.

I’m not a cheesecake aficionado now, but trying some changed the game. The ice around my heart is melting, and now you have to sit through another cheesy analogy.

I issued a warning at the beginning of the semester that I was going to be “that guy” — the one who talked about religion. Sure enough, I’ve talked a lot about Jesus. I apologize if that annoys you.

We talk about what we love, and Jesus is more than simply my homeboy.

It’s not my intention to troll, but I suppose it’s unavoidable considering there seem to be as many opinions as there are people in this world, and shockingly, this is an opinions column.

Who would’ve thought that I’d express my opinion?

I’m being a smart aleck, but I also want to offer some solutions.

If your entire day is ruined by reading my opinions, feel free to check out the insights of the distinguished gentleman who fills the adjacent space.

You can also ignore those endangered orange racks altogether on Wednesdays, though my editors might take issue with that.

I am digressing, though.

Some of you really hate my brand of “cheesecake,” and I can’t blame you. You don’t know me, I don’t know you and many people have made some terribly distasteful desserts. I’m not trying to leave a bad taste in your mouth. In fact, I’d love to chat in real life if you ever want to confirm your sneaking suspicions that I’m an obnoxious proselyte, so long as I’m not running late to a class.

(Disclaimer: Punctuality is a growth opportunity for me.)

You might not hate me as much as you suspect you do.

I suppose I’ve earned myself some haters, but I’m not bitter, because I’ll readily admit that I’m preachy sometimes. I’m a big boy, so I promise I won’t be offended if you take what I say with a grain of salt. Feel free to challenge me and what I believe.

However, don’t fool yourself into thinking that you’re not getting a sermon from everyone else who writes for this paper. They might not write about spirituality and the Bible, but most are preaching something they want you to believe.

My only request is that you examine my claims.

In essence, taste the “cheesecake,” and see if it’s good. I firmly believe that God was not meant to be explained, but fully experienced, and he’s way better than a measly slice of cheesecake.

Perhaps it won’t be your favorite, but I get the feeling you won’t hate it quite as much as you did before you actually tried it out. I could be wrong, though.

Again, it’s only an opinion.

As for me, I’m looking forward to another round of pumpkin cheesecake this year.

In case there was any doubt, I’m talking to you, Supripri.

Ryan Galloway is a religion senior at UF. His column appears on Wednesdays. You can contact him via opinions@alligator.org.