Monday, September 23, 2024

UF student arrested outside Gator Corner after disruption

<p>University Police officers arrest Alvaro Buenfil, 19, outside the Gator Corner Dining Center on Thursday. Police said Buenfil was under the influence of drugs at the time of his arrest.</p>

University Police officers arrest Alvaro Buenfil, 19, outside the Gator Corner Dining Center on Thursday. Police said Buenfil was under the influence of drugs at the time of his arrest.

University Police arrested a UF student allegedly under the influence of drugs after a confrontation with a UPD officer Thursday afternoon.

Police arrested Alvaro Buenfil outside the Gator Corner Dining Center, said UPD spokesman Maj. Brad Barber.

At about 1 p.m., a UPD officer saw Buenfil, a 19-year-old business sophomore, and another student arguing outside the dining hall at the corner of Gale Lemerand Drive and Stadium Road.

The officer got out of his car to talk to Buenfil, who then became “combatant,” Barber said.

Derek Smith, a 30-year-old journalism junior, said he saw the officers arrest Buenfil.

“He shouted, ‘I’m the Joker, I’m the Joker’ while he was cuffed,” he said.

After his arrest, Buenfil told officers he was under the influence of a drug, Barber said.

An Alachua County Fire Rescue ambulance later took Buenfil to Shands at UF.

Barber said police took Buenfil into custody under the Marchman Act, which puts people under medical care and detention for drug abuse and treatment.

This is not the first time Buenfil ran into trouble with police.

In 2011, he was charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, according to court records from the Alachua County Clerk of Courts.

Barber did not say what drug Buenfil was under the influence of at the time of his arrest.

“There are no charges pending at this time,” he added.

Contact Chris Alcantara at calcantara@alligator.org.