Monday, September 23, 2024
<p>Junior forward Taylor Travis (41) pushes the ball during Florida’s 4-0 win against Arkansas on Sept. 30, 2012, at James G. Pressly Stadium.&nbsp;</p>

Junior forward Taylor Travis (41) pushes the ball during Florida’s 4-0 win against Arkansas on Sept. 30, 2012, at James G. Pressly Stadium. 

For some players, changing from offense to defense would mean a major shift in focus. For Taylor Travis, the switch only makes her more effective moving the offense.

“I’ve played in the attacking third a lot of my life,” Travis said. “It makes it a little easier to see certain options.”

This season, Travis made the switch from forward to outside back. Junior Maggie Rodgers and sophomores

Tessa Andujar and Lauren Silver also play the position.

As outside backs, their job in Florida’s formation is to push the attack forward when the Gators have the ball and

to defend the backline when opponents have control.

“They’re a big part of our offense,” coach Becky Burleigh said. “We rely on them a lot to provide some width in the attack.”

The outside backs have been a major reason the Gators have outscored their opponents 11-2 during the past three games. They recorded assists on three of those goals.

Rodgers also delivered the cross that resulted in a hand ball against Georgia. Senior Jo Dragotta scored on the ensuing penalty kick, but Rodgers was not credited with an assist.

Burleigh said she rotates her players at outside back due to the demanding nature of the position.

Travis led the outside backs with 62 minutes against Ole Miss while Andujar, Rodgers and Silver played between 28 and 48 minutes. In the win against Arkansas, all four received between 41 and 45 minutes of playing time.

Because Burleigh keeps players rested, UF’s outside backs often wear out the opposing team.

“We say we work the girl that’s on us,” Andujar said. “We try to show for the ball all the time, going up and down the sidelines, trying to get the opponent tired.”

Travis said the outside backs playing forward give Florida the advantage against opponents who do not usually see that type of attack.

“Teams that play us aren’t used to getting those numbers put against them,” she said. “We almost add a lot of pressure … and help create more options.”