Thursday, September 19, 2024

UF’s Homecoming officially kicks off at the Soulfest Multicultural Extravaganza at 5 p.m. today in the Reitz Union Amphitheatre. Soulfest is free and open to the public, according to a press release.

Event Director Marshall Rivers said Soulfest is an opportunity for diverse student organizations to come together and showcase their talents.

“It’s an upbeat celebration of culture,” he said.

Soulfest will consist of a student organization fair on the Reitz Union Colonnade, free international foods on the North Lawn and a talent showcase in the amphitheatre.

Sabor Latino, a solo performer and 10 other groups will participate in the showcase, Rivers said. The winner of Soulfest’s “Best in Show” award will perform at UF Homecoming’s Gator Growl event Nov. 9.

This year, the theme of Soulfest is “Journey Through America: One Mind, One Body, One SOUL,” which mirrors UF Homecoming’s theme “United We Growl,” Rivers said.

“The elections are coming up,” he said. “There is nothing better than an all-American theme.”

Soulfest will benefit LifeSouth and UF’s Collegiate Veterans Society. Collection boxes will be out from 5 p.m. to 6:45 p.m, Rivers said. Attendees can donate hygiene items like toothpaste, baby wipes and personal first-aid kits for veterans.

Sabor Latino, the official dance team of UF’s Hispanic Student Association, won Soulfest in 2011. This year, the group will try to defend its title, team president Albert Perera said. The 21-year-old psychology senior said the group will implement Soulfest’s theme by “fusing” American and Latino culture.

“I believe we have found a perfect balance of what everyone wants, so we can please all communities and audiences,” Perera said.

Rivers said about 2,000 people attended Soulfest last year. He hopes this year’s event meets or exceeds that number.

“I want Soulfest to keep building,” he said.