Friday, September 20, 2024

A recent New York Times article presented the results of an interesting study: It confirmed the existence of some preconceived notions about girls, boys and their mental capacities in the field of science.

“Science professors at American universities widely regard female undergraduates as less competent than male students with the same accomplishments and skills,” stated the study conducted by Yale University researchers.

It’s definitely true that in some intricate areas men and women rationalize and behave differently; it’s just biology.

However, these differences should be positively recognized rather than used as a basis for discrimination.

Men and women have always struggled to find peace accepting their innate differences — especially when in pursuit of completing the same tasks.

I once met a female student who started school as an engineering major. After a few semesters, she switched to the computer science program.

She said that in her engineering classes, just a handful of other female students were sprinkled across the lecture halls. The rest were all males.

Many of those males weren’t very encouraging, kind or supportive. She said the learning environment made her so uncomfortable, she decided to change her course of study.

No one should ever have to give up something they’d like to pursue simply because of how he or she will be treated by peers or viewed by society.

The problems of bias run even deeper than just the issue of comparing men and women. People often forget about the biases that exist concerning different fields of study.

“So, what’s your major?” everyone asks students. Sometimes, it doesn’t matter what our answer is.

It surprises me that people are actually bold enough to give disapproving looks in response or question others’ personal, academic and preprofessional pursuits.

Every time I visit family and friends at home, someone tells me I need to change my undergraduate major — ideally to a health- or science-based field.

All I can do is try to explain that many sectors make the world go ‘round, and those are just not the ones I’ve chosen to focus on at the moment.

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for those who have chosen them. STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), health and other research/technical fields do so much for our society.

But upon taking my grandmother to an optometry appointment, her female doctor told me I should try to become a nurse.

She knew — and asked — nothing else about me after finding out I was a college student.

All she had to say was that I should pursue nursing.

I respect nurses as well as admire them for the extensive patience, skill and training required to do their jobs. I was simply disappointed that this doctor wanted to know nothing about what I enjoyed the most and based her career advice for me solely on a large stereotype.

It is true that most students want to be able to find a well-paying job postgraduation. However, it is not fair to blatantly say that having a particular degree will completely ruin or accomplish that for you.

You never know where you may find yourself. Earning a degree in one field may get you a job in another.

Believe it or not, there will always be competition and somebody better than you. It’s a combination of skills, experiences, determination, personal qualities and a lot more that determine how you find an opportunity.

Let’s stop comparing people and applaud them for making positive strides in the first place.

Every industry and individual in the world contributes something great to society.

By accepting the fact that we’re all pursuing different paths, we can then accept that certain paths are better for certain people; you should be free from judgment, no matter which one you choose.

Anayo Ordu is an advertising sophomore at UF. Her column appears on Tuesdays. You can contact him at opinions@alligator.org.