Monday, September 23, 2024

Barbara’s Bonkers - Not all lady journalists are great

Maybe you’ve noticed that we’re strong proponents of women’s rights here at the Alligator. Because we’re, like, humans or whatever. No big deal.

That doesn’t mean we have to be fans of every lady to ever grace this planet.

Enter Barbara Walters.

She’s not our favorite journalist or our favorite lady. She never lets her co-hosts on “The View” speak because she thinks she’s more important than them; in the case of Elisabeth Hasselbeck, we’re less upset. Her words aren’t always important.

Walters has had a historical career, as far as interviews go. She interviewed Gaddafi and Castro, as well as Miss Lewinski.

If you want a scoop, Walters is the one who will have it.

Enter Lindsay Lohan.

She’s, uh, not exactly the poster child for a successful career. Or a successful life. But, she’ll be portraying Elizabeth Taylor in the upcoming movie “Liz & Dick.”

Lohan hasn’t had a major interview since March, when Matt Lauer asked her about the end of her probation and about hosting “Saturday Night Live.”

Ever since, she’s basically been going out with Amanda Bynes and hitting everyone with their cars.

Last week, she got into a huge argument with her mom and ended up calling her dad in the middle of it, claiming that her mom was totally on crack. Scandalous, right?

There’s drama going on everywhere all the time, and Americans just love to hear about it. It’s why the paparazzi have such a strong business model.

Lohan might also have a strong business model, but it’s not a healthy one. Plus, the poor girl has even endorsed Mitt Romney for president. That’s when you really know that someone needs help, am I right, folks? Right?

Just because Barbara Walters was a respected journalist doesn’t mean she is one anymore. Why did she break down so many doors or barriers for female reporters if she’s going to waste all of that on a damn interview with Lindsay Lohan.

We can understand covering that kind of thing when you’re a young buck just out of journalism school, but there are more important topics to cover.

For example, Babs could have done a piece on the Taliban shooting victim in Pakistan, Malala Yousafzai. She was shot because she was advocating for the education of girls in schools.

“The Taliban have said they will target her again,” said a BBC article.

Astounding. Terrifying.

Much more worthy of coverage, Barbara Walters, than a celebrity-former-teen-star woman in trouble.

Yousafzai is being airlifted from Pakistan to the U.K. for further medical treatment.

“She remains in a serious condition after the attack, which the Taliban said they had carried out because she had been ‘promoting secularism,’” said the BBC.

Seems like a better cause than Lindsay “Caused a Scene Because She was Drunk and/ or High” Lohan.