Monday, September 23, 2024

With the presidential election looming, students have a week and a half to request their absentee ballots from their home counties.

Voters who are registered outside of Alachua County have until Oct. 31 to get their request to the supervisor of elections in their home counties if they want to vote. In Alachua County, voters with an address on file can get a form to request an absentee ballot from www.votealachua.com.

Pam Carpenter, Alachua County supervisor of elections, stressed the importance of getting ballots in on time and reminded students to sign the back of the envelope of the absentee form when they mail it back. She said about 1 percent of ballots weren’t signed last election cycle and couldn’t be counted.

Early voting starts Oct. 27 and ends Nov. 3.

Voters registered in Alachua County can also get an absentee ballot in person any day before the election to vote early.

All Alachua County absentee ballots must be received at the Supervisor of Elections Office at 111 SE First Ave. by 7 p.m. on Election Day.

Caitlin Copa, a 19-year-old UF education sophomore, said getting an absentee ballot gives her more time to look over the candidates and amendments before she fills out her ballot.

“Politics can be confusing for me, especially with so many different topics to vote on,” she said. “It really helps me to have all of my options right there in front of me to look over as I make these important decisions.”