Monday, September 23, 2024

UF football dealing with injuries heading into bye week

<p>Junior defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd limps off the field during a game against Kentucky at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Saturday. Floyd was one of several Florida players who suffered injuries during the conference game.</p>

Junior defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd limps off the field during a game against Kentucky at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium on Saturday. Floyd was one of several Florida players who suffered injuries during the conference game.

Muschamp introduced the catch phrase “Man down, man up” after Florida’s game against Texas A&M, and the words have never been more relevant.

Unfortunately for No. 11 UF, that means the injury issues have not gone away. Heading into the bye week, Florida not only has to get ready for a home matchup with No. 3 LSU, they have to get healthy.

Offensive tackle Chaz Green (left ankle), defensive end Dominique Easley (left knee), tight end Jordan Reed (head), defensive end Sharrif Floyd (shoulder) and Trey Burton (back spasms) should be ready to go against the Tigers, Muschamp said on Monday. The extent to which they’ll practice will be determined as the week progresses.

Green has missed each of the past two games with a left ankle injury. Easley sat out Saturday’s game due to swelling and a sprain in his left knee, which was surgically repaired after he suffered an ACL tear on Nov. 26 against Florida State.

Reed likely suffered a concussion when he had his helmet knocked off by a pair of Kentucky defenders after a 25-yard catch in the second quarter. Floyd suffered the shoulder injury during Saturday’s game.

Linebacker Jelani Jenkins suffered a broken thumb against the Aggies on Sept. 8 and has had a cast on his right arm ever since undergoing surgery on Sept. 10. Muschamp said then he expected the senior linebacker to be out four weeks.

“I’ll know more later in the week,” Muschamp said on Monday. “I don’t right now. I don’t have the information right now, so I think he sees the doctor Wednesday.”

With injuries come opportunities. Freshman linebacker Antonio Morrison started for Jenkins the last two weeks and racked up seven tackles.

Defensive ends Jonathan Bullard and Earl Okine platooned in Easley’s place against Kentucky and helped hold the Wildcats to the lowest completion percentage against the Gators all season.

In three Southeastern Conference games, UF has seen its fair share of bumps and bruises.

Junior offensive tackle Matt Patchan hasn’t seen the field in any of them. An offseason pectoral strain has kept him off the field. In his four years at Florida, he has received two medical redshirts. Muschamp said he planned on Patchan playing at some point this season.

“He had some tear on the muscle,” Muschamp said. “It’s a painful injury and up front you’ve got to be able to use that to be able to block. Rehab has gone well. He’s worked extremely hard as far as that’s concerned.”

Green, his replacement at right tackle this season, has played well, but an ankle injury has opened the door for guard Kyle Koehne to move outside. On the other side of the line, left tackle Xavier Nixon has struggled in pass protection due to a shoulder injury.

“He’s had a legitimate injury there,” Muschamp said.

“He’s a guy who has pushed through it.”

Contact Adam Pincus at apincus@alligator.org.