Thursday, September 19, 2024

Tracy Morgan to join Gator Growl as comedian

Comedian Tracy Morgan will join country artist Josh Turner at this year’s Gator Growl.

The Growl, billed as the largest student-run pep rally in the world, will be at 7 p.m. Nov. 9 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. The theme of the 89th Gator Growl is “United We Growl,” according to a news release.

Morgan spent eight seasons as a regular cast member on “Saturday Night Live.” He stars as Tracy Jordan in NBC’s “30 Rock” sitcom, which earned him an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series.

Gator Growl’s associate producer of communications Lauren Ettlinger, 21, said feedback from undergraduates, graduate students and alumni suggested attendees would want a comedian from a current television show. Morgan’s name came up frequently.

“Tracy was very excited about doing this show, and we thought he would be a great choice,” Ettlinger said. Ettlinger would not disclose how much Morgan is being paid to appear.

The Gator Growl lineup will also include fireworks, the Para-Commandos skydiving team, the Dazzlers, UF cheerleaders and members of the Gators football team, according to the release.

Tickets can be purchased at www.gatorgrowl.org. They’re set at $15 for students and $25 for alumni and guests.

Contact Julia Glum at jglum@alligator.org.