Monday, September 23, 2024

UF’s 88,548-person shrine to football, Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, is one of the safest stadiums in college sports.

The Swamp received a Facility of Merit Award from the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security.

The stadium was recognized as a facility that demonstrates an innovative approach to enhancing safety and security, according to the organization’s website.

Other NCAA nominees for the award included: Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium at the University of Oklahoma and the High Point Solutions Stadium at Rutgers University.

The stadium was chosen for the award because it provides a safe and enjoyable environment for spectators, said Maj. Brad Barber, University Police spokesman.

University Police and the University Athletic Association coordinate the more than 250 law enforcement officers and support staff members from multiple local, state and federal agencies each game.

The impact of about 90,000 fans on one facility poses a number of challenges, which are met by a unified force made of UAA, UF and UPD personnel, said Chip Howard, UF’s executive associate athletics director for internal affairs.

“Many other campuses see our operation as one they would want to emulate,” he said.

Barber said a well-organized plan makes it extremely difficult to cause problems.

University Police also uses a strict credentialing process for all stadium employees, monitors the stadium with 57 cameras and conducts patrols of all areas of the stadium before and after each game.

Barber said he encourages everyone to immediately tell law enforcement if they see anything suspicious, so officials can investigate the issue.

“It’s that old expression, ‘If you think that something is not right — it’s not right,’” he said. “This will potentially save a significant issue down the road.”