Monday, September 23, 2024

Florida freshmen make strong first impression in singles

Entering last weekend, Allie Will was the last UF freshman to win her first three singles matches, doing so in 2009.

In 2012, Will was the No. 1 ranked singles player in the nation, finishing her career with a record of 109-13 in three years at Florida before turning pro in June.

On Sunday, freshmen Danielle Collins and Brianna Morgan matched Will’s debut with three straight wins at the Wolverine Invitational in Ann Arbor, Mich.

This was the Florida women’s tennis team’s first action since winning their second straight NCAA Championship in May.

“We got pushed more and played better,” associate head coach Dave Balogh said. “There were a couple close matches, and it was good to see us dig deep and keep our composure.

“I liked the passion and energy we came out and showed on the court. Our upperclassmen did a great job of getting everyone fired up for the afternoon, and it showed.”

The fire showed in Collins and Morgan, who won all of their singles matches.

Collins won all six matches she competed in — three singles and three doubles — while Morgan won her three singles matches but lost her three doubles tilts.

After a slow start in which the team opened the tournament with a pair of losses in doubles, the Gators finished the weekend strong.

“We started a bit rusty in doubles and that can be expected since this was our first tournament and competition of the year,” Balogh said.

Collins and junior Olivia Janowicz were crowned the tournament’s doubles champions on Sunday after going undefeated in their three matches. The duo won 24 of their 30 games.

In singles, Florida won 16 of 18 matches during the invitational.

Sofie Oyen, Caroline Hitimana and Janowicz won each of their three singles matches.

Alexandra Cercone finished the weekend 1-2.