Friday, September 20, 2024

Some people never know when to be quiet. And other people never know when to speak up.

But when a life is on the line, it’s time to raise the bar.

I have been an avid Taylor Swift fan since her early country days. My obsession with her music has led me to two of her concerts, and her songs are the most played on my iTunes account.

On Sept. 7, she earned every ounce of my respect. She took the stage at Stand Up to Cancer’s telethon and sang a song that reached into the depths of every listener’s soul. “Ronan” is more than just the title of her latest hit. It is the true story of a 4-year-old boy who fought neuroblastoma, a type of childhood cancer, and passed away 16 months ago after an eight-month battle with the disease.

Swift wrote the song from the viewpoint of Ronan’s mother, Maya Thompson, who has kept a daily blog since the day her son was diagnosed. Thompson is credited as the co-author of the song because her words were Swift’s template for the lyrics.

She captures Ronan’s life and evokes the pain and nostalgia that come with childhood cancer.

When people think about cancer, they often do not fully comprehend the commitment and courage it takes to fight the battle. The song follows a journey that thousands of children and families go through. The many months spent in a hospital room become a reality for listeners who otherwise may never have this personal experience.

This song serves a greater purpose than causing tears. It transmits the universal message of the bravery of childhood cancer that many people have yet to hear. The children fighting for their lives, along with their families, deserve every chance for a cure.

By increasing awareness, more money will be invested into the cause, and new strides will be taken to end the disease. Thompson started The Ronan Thompson Foundation with the goal of increasing survival rates of children affected by neuroblastoma and other forms of pediatric cancer.

Swift’s courage to delve into such a heart-wrenching topic shows her true character not only as a musician but as a person.

All proceeds from “Ronan” will be donated to the Taylor Swift Charitable Fund and will be used in the battle against pediatric cancer.

Compassion is not just a feeling that a person has upon seeing something they sympathize with. Rather, it is a response to that feeling and the action that is carried out. True compassion goes beyond recognizing a problem exists. Taking action to show support and dedication to a cause is where real compassion takes its role.

People often become trapped in their own worlds, filled only with their personal problems and worries.

This is one of society’s greatest flaws.

We have become oblivious to the tribulations of those around us, and fail to reach out even with a nod of acknowledgment.

Stories like Ronan’s will never be heard unless someone voices them. And it doesn’t take a superstar to do so.

Awareness is the greatest weapon in the fight against a great number of issues facing society. The tired clichés of “there is strength in numbers” and “knowledge is power” are completely true.

Beyond the world of politics, social media and superficial worries, people are faced with a wide range of problems that may inhibit daily activities. Life often takes its own path and offers its own surprises.

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. By empowering ourselves with knowledge, we can create a different future for the kids.

Let’s show that we love them to the moon and back.

Abby Wolz is a health sciences freshman. Her column appears on Thursdays.