Monday, September 23, 2024

While You Were Gone: Wambach, Mitts earn gold with U.S. women's soccer

Fourteen years ago, Abby Wambach and Heather Mitts celebrated Florida soccer's first NCAA title.

In 2012, they celebrated a gold-medal victory for the United States at the London Olympics.

The 2012 gold medal was Wambach's second and Mitts' third. Wambach and Mitts both won gold in Athens in 2004. Mitts won in 2008, but Wambach was sidelined with a broken leg.

Wambach played a key role for the U.S. Women's National Team on their road to the gold, scoring a goal in five of the six Olympic matches. She netted the game-winners against North Korea and New Zealand, and added a game-tying penalty kick in the semifinal match against Canada.

In her time at UF, Wambach won a national title and four Southeastern Conference championships. She was a four-time All-SEC team selection, a two-time SEC Player of the Year and a three-time All-American.

Wambach currently holds the Florida records for goals, assists, points, game-winning goals and hat tricks.

Mitts only saw action in one Olympic match, but was an active substitute for all of them.

Mitts spent four seasons playing for the Gators on the back line. She was a two-time All-American. She holds Florida records for appearances, starts and minutes played.

Former Gator Lisa Raymond also succeeded in team activity with a bronze medal in mixed doubles, winning alongside Mike Bryan.