Monday, September 23, 2024

Dean of Students encourages students to join “culture of care”

Dear UF Students,

At UF, we are very lucky. Our Student Body is incredibly talented in a variety of ways. Many of our faculty and staff are nationally or internationally recognized in their fields. The awards and points of pride are vast and diverse — for example, our Career Resource Center is ranked No. 1 in the country by the Princeton Review, our Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution office was ranked No. 1 in the country by its peers, faculty make miraculous discoveries, Gators are Olympians and much more. However, despite the many accolades and a tremendously caring community reminiscent of a much smaller institution, there still remain students in distress.

I invite all students to join the U Matter, We Care movement. This university-wide initiative focuses on enhancing the culture of care we have at UF so that every community member in distress is noticed, approached in a caring way and referred to a helping resource. Created to enhance our culture, make resources easily accessible and provide support to those in distress, U Matter has one phone number (352-294-CARE), email address (umatter@ufl.edu) and website (umatter.ufl.edu) so that you have easy access to assistance for those in distress.

What should you do?

Notice signs of distress in others, approach in a caring way and suggest helping resources.

Attend one of the many trainings on campus or in the community regarding assisting others. When you do, you qualify for a U Matter sticker signifying your belief that each individual at UF matters.

Make a positive difference this semester. Be part of the solution. Take care.

Jen Day Shaw, Ph.D. is associate vice president for Student Affairs/Dean of Students