Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Notebook: Gainesville local Thompson accepts Florida offer

<p>Florida coach Will Muschamp looks on at the 2012 Friday Night Light football camp July 27. More than 200 high school athletes attended to participate in drills.</p>

Florida coach Will Muschamp looks on at the 2012 Friday Night Light football camp July 27. More than 200 high school athletes attended to participate in drills.

Chris Thompson prayed and an answer arrived for the Gainesville High School wide receiver.

Gators coach Will Muschamp gave the hometown product an offer Monday he couldn’t refuse.

His commitment to the Gators marks No. 21 for the third-ranked class according to Rivals.com.

Thompson joined cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III, defensive end Antonio Riles, defensive end Jordan Sherit and defensive tackle Travonte Valentine as the five players who committed since Friday.

He’s the fourth wide receiver commitment for UF in the 2013 class.

After an impressive Friday Night Lights performance, Thompson earned the meeting with Muschamp.

“I really want it very bad,” Thompson said Friday about the potential offer. “I can’t even put it into words really. I just want, because it’s home. It’s very close to home. I can walk down the street and come here.”

He shined in one-on-one drills, beating cornerbacks on short and deep routes with bursts of speed.

Thompson felt he excelled at catching the football. Gators wide receiver coach Aubrey Hill helped Thompson keep the ball away from his body.

“I like working with Aubrey Hill,” Thompson said. “He showed me the small things I needed to work on and stuff that I can improve on. I think he is a good coach.”

Thompson projects to the slot position in college.

The two-star prospect held offers from FAU, Marshall, UMass and Utah before the Gators came calling.

The coaching staff gave Thompson reason for optimism at the camp.

“They talked to me,” he said. “They said it is coming soon, but don’t know right now — just waiting.”

For Thompson now, the wait is over.

Staver aims to impress: Max Staver had something to prove at the Swamp.

The lone UF quarterback commitment in 2013 participated at Friday Night Lights to show he belonged in a growing recruiting class.

The three-star quarterback out of Brentwood Academy in Tennessee grew tired of explaining himself.

“People always underestimate me,” Staver said. “They’re like, ‘who’s this random kid from Tennessee committing to Florida?’ I want to show everybody that I am a good player and I just want to go out here and have a little fun with the guys.”

Most schools had their quarterback, but UF offensive coordinator Brent Pease visited Brentwood to see the 6-foot-5 quarterback in action.

“He is going to be honest with you,” Staver said about Pease. “This type of offense is perfect — pro-style and multiple sets. He brings a lot of knowledge to the game. He is going to be a great teacher. He’s going to get you right for the next level and those are the qualities you look for in a coach.”

Staver arrived in Gainesville for a Will Muschamp football camp in early June and was hooked. He committed on June 18.

“I saw what they were putting together in their recruiting class,” Staver said. “All these pieces fit together and they made a really nice puzzle.”