Friday, October 18, 2024

Each year, enough Americans become infected with HIV to match the UF student population.

The number of those people who are unaware they’ve contracted the disease could nearly fill the Stephen C. O’Connell Center to capacity.

But the Food and Drug Administration plans to reduce this year’s statistics. On Monday, it approved the first drug to reduce the risk of HIV infection.

Gilead Sciences’ once-a-day pill Truvada will now be available to uninfected individuals who may engage in sexual activity with HIV-infected partners.

“It keeps the virus from replicating in the body,” said FDA spokeswoman Stephanie Yao.

In 2004, the FDA approved the drug for the treatment of HIV-infected adults and children 12 years or older.

But two large, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials revealed Truvada’s potential for preventing contraction of the AIDS precursor, Yao said.

One study found that the drug reduced the risk of HIV infection by 42 percent in gay and bisexual men who participated in high risk behavior. Another study focusing on heterosexual couples in which one partner had HIV showed Truvada reduced the risk of infection in the other partner by 75 percent.

Currently, the pill is only available as a preventative measure for adults and must be prescribed by a doctor. Truvada is expected to cost at least $13,900 a year for treatment in the U.S., according to Gilead Sciences.

The most common side effects reported with Truvada included diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, headache and weight loss. Uncommon side effects can include kidney problems or bone toxicity.

The drug is to be used in combination with safe sex practices, risk reduction counseling and regular HIV testing, according to a statement from the FDA.