Tuesday, September 24, 2024

City of Gainesville will build new RTS headquarters downtown

The facility for the Gainesville Regional Transit System can support a maximum of about 70 buses.

It now accommodates 113 buses.

“It’s bursting at its seams,” said Chip Skinner, marketing and communications supervisor at RTS.

Skinner said the federal government said it will no longer provide federal funding to RTS to expand its fleet because the facility is over its maximum holding capacity.

“If we plan to provide the community with more service, we’re going to need more buses,” he said.

The City of Gainesville will construct a two-story, 125,000-square-foot facility as the new headquarters for RTS.

The complex will be about four times the size of the current facility, which was built more than four decades ago, Skinner said.

The new facility will provide major benefits for the whole city, said Theresa “T” Harrison, marketing and communications specialist for Gainesville RTS. Services would be able to expand deeper into Alachua County. She said the more service and the more buses, the more staff and support RTS is going to need.

The $50 million facility will be located three blocks south of the current facility, located at 100 SE 10th Ave.

Skinner said the facility should be done sometime in 2015.