Friday, September 20, 2024

Recently, our nation came to an impasse over where we stand on the intentions and consequences of allowing citizens to possess firearms. The tragedy at Aurora, Colo., resulted from a mentally unstable individual gradually building up an arsenal of grenades, explosives and several high-powered guns. How did James Holmes even manage to acquire such a large arsenal, and what does it say about our gun control? More importantly, this tragedy, following the massacre at Columbine, the attempted assassination of Congresswoman Gifford, Virginia Tech, etc., must raise questions about what we are doing wrong as a society.

If you were to listen to either President Obama or Republican candidate Mitt Romney, you would almost believe neither of them had ever heard of gun control. Neither the president nor his opponent has even touched the issue.

Who could blame them? There is much expediency in avoiding political suicide over a decisive issue that could alienate crucial voters in the election. The same mood is pervasive in Congress, where even sponsors of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban law in 1994 have little intentions of reviving the provision.

I cannot deny how tempting it is for me to gather popcorn and cynically watch political pundits salivate at the mouth. Imposing more restrictions without addressing the availability of guns in the underground and online markets is just as irrational as allowing more repose on firearm possession. The fact that I am just as able to buy a pistol illegally in Gainesville or in Baltimore is enough indication that we require better options.

In regards to James Holmes’ ability to amass such an array of firearms, retired FBI agent Jack Cloonan commented, “I don’t know of anything [about Holmes’ gun purchases] that would’ve notified law enforcement as a matter of policy right now.” This is coming from a former counterterrorism agent, an expert on the matter. What is the point of more gun control if our current laws are fruitless in stopping suspects from buying such large arsenals?

Unlike many individuals who are enthusiastic about limited gun control, I personally support measured restrictions on firearm possession. The full assault weapon ban was a bit much for me, but I don’t know any average American who actually needs automatic rifles for self-defense. Unless you have kept the company of some nondescript Mexican cartel, there has to be some measured restriction on the Second Amendment.

However, some of the more stringent policies in states such as California or New York often stretch the fabric on the civil liberties of rightful gun ownership.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention supported a study in October 2003 titled, “First Reports Evaluating the Effectiveness of Strategies for Preventing Violence.” It summed up its exhaustive research in one point. “Results of studies of firearms and ammunition bans were inconsistent: Certain studies indicated decreases in violence associated with bans, and others indicated increases.” The cities of Baltimore and Washington have high rates of gun violence despite restrictions on firearms, including an outright ban in the capital, which was recently overturned by the Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller.

Hence, we return to the basis of our quandary.

Where do we stand on firearms? If we are going to minimize these tragic occurrences, we have to address our own culture. As long as we live in a culture that often glorifies explosions and guns without understanding the moral implications that could provide hesitancy for these sorts of actions, we cannot move forward.

Likewise, more government restrictions do not address the loopholes that allowed James Holmes to acquire a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle, shotguns, Glock pistols and bullet-resistant armor. This is a serious discussion that we should have in our political discourse by first tying up the loopholes in laws and controlling the manufacturing and distribution of guns in this nation.

The “War on Guns” has failed us, and we need new policies with adequate and practical legislation in this country.

Guillermo R. Pradieu is an English sophomore at UF.