Tuesday, September 24, 2024
<p>Sophomore Alaina Johnson has been clutch during UF’s late-season dominance, notching a 9.95 on vault Saturday at NCAA Regionals.</p>

Sophomore Alaina Johnson has been clutch during UF’s late-season dominance, notching a 9.95 on vault Saturday at NCAA Regionals.

At the Southeastern Conference Championships on March 24, the Gators exploded on vault with a 49.525 to rally to the top of the leaderboard.

Two weeks later, they took it up a notch.

No. 1 seed Florida had the NCAA Southeastern Regional practically wrapped up after three events Saturday but saved its best for last on vault. The team recorded a 49.55 — its second-highest vault total of the year — to increase its lead against the field to 1.1 points.

The performance on vault gave UF a 197.325 total for the afternoon, the best team score of all six regional competitions.

“On vault, we did one of our best, from top to bottom, performances of the season,” coach Rhonda Faehn said. “All in all, I was very pleased.”

In its first six meets of the season, UF averaged a 49.20 on vault. But in its past six competitions, it has averaged a 49.45.

Before regionals, Florida was ranked fourth in the country with a regional qualifying score of 49.39 on vault, behind UCLA, Alabama and Nebraska. But on Saturday, the Gators outscored all of these teams on UF’s third-best event.

Beginning on vault was freshman Rachel Spicer, who has been solid in the leadoff spot all season. She scored a 9.825 to start the rotation on a positive note.

With senior Nicole Ellis out of the vault lineup with a hip injury, Faehn had to choose between two freshmen — Kiersten Wang and Jamie Shisler — to fill in Ellis’ No. 2 role. The day of regionals, Faehn decided to go with Wang.

“She trained really well all week,” Faehn said. “We felt really calm and confident with her.”

Wang, who had not competed on vault since Jan. 20, notched a season-best 9.875 after nearly sticking her landing. Her performance proved to be a key motivator for UF’s four all-arounders.

“Kiersten really did a great job,” Faehn said. “She really stepped it up. She’s always had the potential to do a great vault.”

Junior Ashanée Dickerson and sophomore Alaina Johnson then tallied season-best scores of 9.95 after sticking their landings. Rounding out the rotation was junior Marissa King (9.875) and freshman Kytra Hunter (9.9).

“We came up with quite a few of the stuck landings, which was helpful,” Faehn said.

Once the meet ended, UF found all six of its vaulters in the top 20. Dickerson and Johnson shared first place, while Hunter tied for fourth with two other gymnasts.

When No. 1 seed Florida competes at the evening session of the NCAA Championships on April 20 in The Arena at Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Ga., its first rotation will be vault. The Gators, who started on vault at all five of their home meets this season, hope to use that as an advantage. 

“Beginning of the season, our goal was to win SECs. We did that. Our goal was to win regionals. We did that,” Faehn said. “If we get everyone hitting on all cylinders at once, it should be pretty much just fireworks.”