Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Rogers pitches gem, suffers loss in Florida softball's shutout defeat to Kentucky

For the third time all year, and the second time in a row, the Gators watched as another team celebrated a victory on their home field.

An unranked and sub-.500 Kentucky squad (25-26, 11-12 Southeastern Conference) shut out No. 2 Florida (42-8, 19-4 SEC) to open up the Gators’ last regular season home series. UF suffered the same fate on Tuesday night when they were blanked in the second half of a doubleheaded against LSU.

Coach Tim Walton blamed the lack of offensive output on quality SEC pitching.

“It’s kind of what I expect when you’re facing some of the better pitching in the league,” Walton said. “That’s what it is. The last stretch of our season begins the top-tier pitching and not only in the league, but also the best in the country.”

Even with what he called young and inexperienced hitters, Walton said his team is not panicking as it nears the postseason.

However, the Gators hit a clear roadblock at the plate when they face conference foes, which make up the rest of their competition before the postseason.

Entering Friday’s matchup with Kentucky, Florida hit .271 in conference play compared to .336 in non-conference games. And four of UF’s eight losses have come to SEC opponents.

Freshman Lauren Haeger, who was just one of three Gators to get a base hit Friday, said Florida may be overthinking in the batter’s box.

“I feel like we’re guessing a lot,” Haeger said. “I know I catch myself guessing all the time. When you’re facing a good pitcher it’s hard to get in their head and figure out what they’re thinking. As soon as we stop guessing we’ll be all right.”

Hannah Rogers (25-4) kept UF in the game, ended up suffering her fourth loss of the year; she gave up two runs (one earned) and four hits to the Wildcats. Kentucky put up a two-spot in third courtesy of a Brittany Cervantes solo homer and a throwing error by Cheyenne Coyle. Coyle’s errant throw to first allowed Kara Dill to take two bases on the play. Dill then scored an unearned run from second on a Rachel Riley RBI single.

The third inning was Rogers’ only low point in the game. She served up a pitch that Cervantes drilled over the left-field fence, but other than that, Rogers pitched a solid outing and notched her 22nd complete game.

“I just try to keep my cool,” Rogers said.

Haeger expressed a strong desire to come out Saturday with a better offensive showing because it will be senior day, honoring Michelle Moultrie. 

“We play our hearts out for Michelle,” Haeger said. “I wanted a sweep for Michelle. To win for her would be awesome and we’re going to win for her tomorrow.”