Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Mather earns 99th doubles win in UF women's tennis win against Arkansas

The home-court advantage that has been so well publicized for the Gators was close to non-existent Friday evening. A team that is conditioned for warm, muggy weather had to play a home match in chilly, windy weather at Linder Stadium. 

But for the No. 2 team in the country, the environment had little effect. Florida (16-1, 9-0 Southeastern Conference) took care of Arkansas with little resistance. It was another sweep and another match in which the Gators did not drop a single set.

Coach Roland Thornqvist was impressed with his team, especially the way they were able to take control of matches early.

“I thought we played well and were really professional in our body language and composure and that was the highlight of the day,” coach Roland Thornqvist said. “We had some really good first sets with them and I was really pleased with the way we handled ourselves.”

Florida had to deal with some unusual weather. A strong wind posed a threat for the Gators, but ultimately played no factor in their play.

““It was tough to play in the wind and I thought we handled ourselves well,” Thornqvist said. “Arkansas has good players. Players who are skilled with big weapons and I thought we did well.”

The win sets up Joanna Mather’s senior day on Sunday. Mather will play her final match in Gainesville as UF hosts LSU, but she will also go for a milestone. With a win in doubles, she will win her 100th doubles match as a Gator. 

With the women at home, the No. 9 men’s team (13-7, 6-3 SEC) also shut out the Razorbacks in Fayetteville, Ark. It was Florida’s fourth-straight SEC win. They will travel to Baton Rouge, La., to face LSU on Sunday.