Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Volunteers to shave heads for child cancer

As St. Patrick’s Day revelers begin their celebrations in Midtown, Jason McKibben will be going bald for children with cancer.

The political science freshman committed to having his head shaved today during the Freshman Leadership Council’s St. Baldrick’s Day fundraiser from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Flavet Field.

During the event, participants known as “shavees” volunteer to have their heads shaved in support of the fight against childhood cancer. They have the option to donate at least 8 to 10 inches of their hair.

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a national organization that raises funds for childhood cancer research.As of Thursday evening, 15 shavees have raised $5,255. A few have raised more than $1,000 each.

McKibben, whose blond hair just reaches his shoulders, said he has had long hair since his freshman year of high school. At first, McKibben said he was hesitant to shave his head and get rid of his “beach bum look.”

“I thought about it a little bit,” he said. “It’s children with cancer. I don’t really know how anyone can say no to that.”

McKibben said he was inspired by his high school physics teacher’s 2-year-old son, Greg Grasso, who underwent 21 chemotherapy treatments in the last 15 months for the cancer in his eyes.

Greg finds out if he is cancer-free the same day that McKibben will have his head shaved.

For more information, visit www.stbaldricks.org/events/uf.