Tuesday, September 24, 2024

University of Florida cricket player named one of nation's best

A UF cricket player is one of five 2011 College Cricket Players of the Year.

American College Cricket chose Gator Cricket Club vice captain Ricky Nayar for the award based on his performance on and off the field, according to the organization's website.

Nayar, 21, said he has been playing cricket since he was a child growing up in New Delhi. His main position on the UF club team is batter, but he also plays bowler and wicketkeeper, he said.

"I'm from India and it's the popular sport — it's like football or basketball or baseball over here," he said.

In November, Gator Cricket Club beat rival Auburn University to win the American College Cricket South East Championship, Nayar said. Last season, the team faced Auburn in the finals and lost.

Also last season, Nayar was nominated for UF's Male Athlete of the Year.

He said he was surprised by both nominations.

"I didn't expect too much representation because cricket is not that popular in America," he said.

The UF cricket team will go up against 30 or 40 other teams at the American College Cricket Spring Break Championship from March 14 to 18 in Fort Lauderdale.

Nayar said he has always wanted to play cricket professionally. Right now, though, he's focusing on finishing his education.