Tuesday, September 24, 2024

UF student's website offers prizes for original content

Maxx Yellin is urging people to expose themselves on his website, but he's not looking for adult-only material.

The 21-year-old UF sports management senior's brainchild, LoadnVote.com, is a website where users can upload pictures, videos and captions to compete for prizes.

About half of the site's contests call for a skill like "original unique talent" or "best original song." The rest, however, require little more than a camera, such as a contest for funny baby faces.

"We make sure there's contests for everyone," Yellin said.

Yellin and two childhood friends founded the site. It went live Feb. 2 and had 500 accounts and 25,000 page views after the first week.

Users who are musicians, comedians or other artists can use the site to get publicity.

Mitchell Schepps, however, is only looking for sun exposure. The 21-year-old finance and actuarial science junior said he entered a caption contest to win a Spring Break trip.

He heard about the website when someone in his statistics class mentioned the opportunity to win a trip for two to Mexico.

"I didn't think it was real," he said. "All you had to do was enter a caption and you could get it."