Tuesday, September 24, 2024

UF Peace Corps program ranks second in volunteer numbers

Students who walk into the Peace Corps office on UF's campus often walk out with their minds far from Gainesville.

The university's Peace Corps program, which places American volunteers in foreign countries, recently ranked second in the nation in overall number of volunteers. This is UF's second consecutive year at No. 2.

This year, UF needed three more people to claim the top overall spot, which is held by the University of Washington, said recruiter Amy Panikowksi.

UF's 30 graduate division volunteers ranked No. 1 in 2011. The 101 self-reported undergraduate students ranked No. 4.

Panikowski ensures that applicants have as much access to her as necessary.

"They know I care about where they're going and what they're teaching," she said.

The application process can last from about four to 15 months, Panikowski said.

Applicants range from freshmen to seniors and Gainesville community members to UF staff. The program accepts all majors.

Many students learn about the program via word-of-mouth, Panikowski said.

"They tell people what they're doing and why they're doing it, and then there are other people wanting to do the same," she said.

UF alumna and professor Jennifer Gillett-Kaufman volunteered in Morocco from 1998 to 2000.

She wrote in an email that she recommends the Peace Corps to students.

"It was one of the most meaningful experiences of my life," Gillett-Kaufman said. "With Amy's enthusiasm, I understand why we have one of the best recruiting programs."