Saturday, July 06, 2024

To stay afloat, public radio stations often rely on the kindness of strangers.

WUFT-FM does it with wine.

UF's 89.1 WUFT-FM will host its 23rd annual "A Celebration of Wine" event from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.

Sue Wagner, special events coordinator for WUFT-FM, said the event is an important fundraiser for the station.

"We've raised over $300,000 for the life of the event," she said. "It's also provided awareness to the community."

Wagner said the fundraising event was started to help benefit the public radio station.

Last year, the event raised $36,667 for the station.

Donors provide more than 1,000 types of wine for attendees to bid on or sample, said Kathy Bare, senior accountant for the multimedia department of the College of Journalism and Communications.

Attendees can also bid in the silent auction for prizes including wine, jewelry, pottery and art, all of which are donated for the event.

Tickets cost $55 in advance and $60 at the door. Tickets are available online at wuft.org/wine.

WUFT-FM 89.1 airs 24 hours a day in 19 counties in North Central and mid-Florida.

Unlike commercial radio, public radio relies on fundraisers, pledge drives and special events to raise money.

Bare, a supporter of public radio, said she has attended about a dozen "A Celebration of Wine" fundraisers.

She said the event is important because other funding for the station has decreased with the economic downturn.

Although WUFT-FM has some staunch supporters and the fundraisers have been successful, Bare said, she still has one wish.

"I would like to see more people realize the value of public broadcast."