Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Downtown party-goers will soon have more options for satisfying late-night burger cravings.

Relish Big Tasty Burgers will open a new location in downtown Gainesville that will stay open after the bars close, owner Rob Roche said.

The new location at 201 SE First St. is tentatively scheduled to open on March 15.

Roche said the Midtown location is a quick place to eat, whereas the new downtown location will be more of a hang-out spot.

Along with extended weekend hours, the downtown Relish will have an outside seating area, serve beer and wine and have 60-inch televisions.

Roche said he aims to create a comfortable atmosphere where people can go to relax after a long night and eat quality burgers.

"We really focus on people having a great experience when they visit Relish," Roche said.

Roche, who also owns the Pita Pit on West University, opened the Relish in Midtown in January 2009 because he saw an untapped market for burgers in the area.

His business places an emphasis on fresh ingredients and certified Angus beef, which makes up only 8 percent of the beef sold in the country, he said.

Relish patrons can choose from eight types of relish, and there's no limit to the amount of toppings one can pile on a burger.

Marketing junior David Burkhardt, 21, said he enjoys the restaurant's topping philosophy.

"Relish is really convenient after a late night in Midtown," he said. "I'm glad Relish will be in downtown too for when I am in a downtown mood."