Tuesday, September 24, 2024

While three of the Gators' four main all-around competitors rested from at least one event, sophomore Alaina Johnson picked up the slack and lit up Auburn Arena.

Competing as UF's only all-arounder, Johnson scored a 39.625, the best all-around total for the team this season, as No. 2 Florida (8-1, 4-1 Southeastern Conference) edged out No. 17 Auburn (3-9, 0-5 SEC) 197.500-196.875 on Friday night.

The 39.625 is the second highest all-around score of Johnson's collegiate career. Her total sits behind only the 39.675 total she posted last year against Georgia.

"I felt good that I can go out there and do it for my team," Johnson said. "We have so many great girls. They all stepped up and we were able to put other girls in so we can let the [main all-arounders] rest."

Johnson also tallied a 9.95 on vault to tie for the event win with freshman Kytra Hunter, who rested from floor exercise and uneven bars. Also sitting out on floor, junior Ashanée Dickerson placed third on vault with a 9.925.

"Sometimes it's a challenge for athletes that are used to competing four events (to rest)," coach Rhonda Faehn said. "They have to sit and try to not stay cold. But I was proud that they were able to maintain their energy and rhythm."

Sophomore Mackenzie Caquatto tied for the bars win with two Auburn gymnasts at 9.925. The bars title is Caquatto's fourth straight victory.

On a night when she took a break from vault and floor, junior Marissa King tied with Auburn's Brianna Guy at a 9.95 for the balance beam title. Guy also claimed the floor exercise title with a 9.9

UF began strong with a 49.400 team total on bars, giving them an early .325 lead. Midway through action, the Gators led the Tigers comfortably, 98.975 to 98.550, while posting the second-best vault total in school history (49.575).

Florida then struggled in the third rotation as Auburn crept closer by one-tenth of a point.

Scores of 9.6 by Kiersten Wang and 9.75 by freshman Rachel Spicer and sophomore Lauren Rose on floor, an area Faehn said Florida needs to add more depth, lowered UF to a 49.05 floor total.

Luckily for UF, Faehn saved all of her top gymnasts for the final rotation, as the Gators finished off the night on a positive note with a 49.40 on beam.

"It was definitely wonderful to be able to see everyone compete so aggressively and confidently, especially knowing we changed up the lineup quite a bit," Faehn said.

"It shows that the team this year is a very different team from last year as far as their toughness and their team unity."