Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Dewey Bozella, falsely imprisoned for 26 years and the 2011 recipient of the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage, will tell his story to Gainesville tonight.

Bozella served 26 years in Sing Sing prison for a murder he did not commit. He was exonerated in 2009.

He will speak in the Rion Ballroom of the Reitz Union. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the event starts at 8 p.m.

He will be paid $12,500.

No ticket is necessary, and the event is free and open to the public. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. A Q&A session will follow the event.

Bozella was given four opportunities for early release if he admitted guilt, but he refused to admit to a crime he did not commit, according to greatertalentnetwork.com.

Bozella used boxing to motivate him throughout his time in prison, and he eventually earned the title of light heavyweight champion of Sing Sing. Upon his release, Bozella fought his first and only professional match, beating opponent Larry Hopkins at the Staples Center by an unanimous decision.

Corey Portnoy, chairman of Accent Speakers' Bureau, said he expects Bozella's story of courage to resonate with all members of the audience.

"Dewey Bozella stands for courage, and that's something that all students at the University of Florida should aspire to have," Portnoy said. "I feel that his words of advice will help those who might be faced with an issue that challenges their integrity."