Saturday, July 06, 2024

Doug E. Fresh to host 23rd annual step show Saturday at O'Dome

The 23rd annual Florida Invitational Step Show is going "Back to the Basics" this year.

The weekend begins with a kick-off event Friday and concludes with FISSFest and the step show.

"We have really gone out of our way this year to explain why FISS is important, to teach them about black history and the history and legacy and traditions of the National Pan-Hellenic Council," said Shaniqua Thompson, executive director of FISS.

Beat boxer and rapper Doug E. Fresh will host the show.

To help set the mood for Saturday night's event, FISSFest, formerly known as Greek Fest, will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Flavet Field.

The step show will take place Saturday at the O'Connell Center. Doors open at 6 p.m., and the event begins at 7 p.m.

Jaleesa Green, a 19-year-old accounting sophomore, said this will be her fifth time attending FISS. Her aunts used to take her when she was younger.

She described FISS as "a wonderful experience, even if you don't know about the organizations."

Thompson said this year's FISS has several surprises in store for attendees.

She said, "Expect to be entertained. It's going to be one of those things that you go home and you tell people about."