Friday, October 18, 2024

Death toll in Interstate 75 crashes rises to 11

The death toll is now 11 in the Interstate 75 crashes that also injured at least 22 people early Sunday morning.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the Florida Highway Patrol announced Tuesday night that a third victim was found in a Dodge pickup.

In the aftermath of the crash, the pickup was on top of a crushed Pontiac Grand Prix. Another passenger and the driver of the truck were also killed. Their names have not been released.

The rise in the death toll is due to the continued investigation by the Medical Examiner's Office.

Other names and identities were also released by the FHP in the days following the incident.

The Medical Examiner's Office released the remains of 22-year-old Vontavia Robinson of Williston.

A family believed to be from a Brazilian Restoration church in Georgia, travelling from a three day conference in the Orlando area, were also victims of the crash.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Edson Carmo, 38, was the pastor of the church and driver of a 2012 Dodge Caravan. His passengers included Roselia DeSilva, 41, Jose Carmo Jr., 43, Adrianna Carmo, 39, and Leticia Carmo, all of Kennesaw, Ga. They were all killed. Lidiane Carmo, 15, the sole survivor from the van, was still at Shands at UF as of Tuesday night.