Wednesday, September 25, 2024

CLAS website helping students discover majors

Will Holland is a biology major, itching to explore other options.

Declaring his major at Preview was hectic, said the first-semester 18-year-old. He was rushed, and because the health field interests him, he chose biology.

He already wants to change it.

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences' "Explore our Majors" website aims to help students like Holland. The site, www.clas.ufl.edu/majors, presents 35 of the CLAS majors.

Since its launch last March, the page has 101,300 total views, according to data compiled by adviser Liz Kazungu.

Each page displays information about the major, including potential careers, course topics and opportunities like research positions.

"It's an opportunity for students to learn about majors that they might not know a lot about," said college Dean Paul D'Anieri.

According to the Academic Advising Center website, 38 percent of UF students change majors by the end of their first year, and 61 percent switch by the end of their second year.

Students often stumble upon their interests in general education classes, D'Anieri said. Now, they can access the website for more information.

"Ultimately, the goal is that students pick the major that inspires the most passion in them," he said.