Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Gainesville will receive the insight of a former presidential candidate days before the Florida Republican primary.

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani will speak at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts at 8 p.m. on Thursday.

He will receive $65,000 for his appearance.

Doors open at 7 p.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. No ticket is necessary, and the show is free and open to the public.

Corey Portnoy, chairman of ACCENT Speakers Bureau, said Giuliani might discuss endorsing a Republican presidential candidate during his speech.

Portnoy said the show is a great opportunity to hear and learn from an influential leader.

"Giuliani was at the center of our country at a time of a national crisis, and students should be able to connect with him," he said.

UF political science professor David Hedge said he expects the former mayor to have an interesting perspective on politics and national security concerns.

A Q&A session will follow the speech.

A moderator will ask selected audience questions submitted before the speech, Portnoy said.

Security at the Phillips Center will be tightened Thursday night. All small bags will be checked and no backpacks will be allowed.

Giuliani was mayor of New York City from 1994 to 2001 and a Republican presidential candidate in 2008.

He was recognized as Time's Person of the Year in 2001.

Alligator writer Rachel Rowan contributed to this story.