Wednesday, September 25, 2024

RUB to feature Florida premiere of documentary on women in media

Reitz Union Board Entertainment will feature the only Florida premiere of a documentary about the media's portrayal of women.

"Miss Representation" will play at 8 p.m. tonight in the Reitz Union Auditorium. UF's Women's Student Association, Student Government and Florida Opportunity Scholars are co-sponsoring the event.

The film is free and open to the public. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.

Aired on the Oprah Winfrey Network and praised by critics, "Miss Representation" will explore the American media's portrayal of influential women, according to the RUB website.

RUB Entertainment and SG's Women's Affairs Cabinet covered the $325 cost for the rights to the film, said 22-year-old graduate student Sky Georges, who organized the screening with classmates from the Master of Sustainable Development Practice program.

Kathy Keeter, a 20-year-old political science, Spanish and women's studies junior and president of the UF Women's Student Association, said the screening will help bring awareness to some of the issues women face and also project the group's mission.

"We are trying to make a more central hub for women in the community," she said.