Wednesday, September 25, 2024

In honor of its five-year anniversary, the Office of Sustainability released a report highlighting the efforts it has made in creating a more sustainable UF.

"It highlights the department's accomplishments," said Stephanie Sims, Office of Sustainability implementation coordinator.

The office's two biggest goals are to have zero waste at UF by 2015 and for UF to be carbon-neutral by 2025, Sims said.

UF is trying to save energy despite having more square footage, she said.

UF's electricity bill is about $43 million per year, and building energy is the largest component of UF's greenhouse gas emissions. General electricity makes up 50 percent of gas emissions, according to the report.

The office is working with UF to group occupied buildings together during summer session to ensure unused buildings aren't wasting energy.

Some actions that have already been implemented include turning off lights, using more efficient air handlers, using the revolving door in Library West and upgrading windows, Sims said.

By 2015, UF hopes to have zero waste. Outlined in the report are initiatives to achieve that, including encouraging fans to recycle when tailgating at home football games. About 145 tons of recyclables have been diverted since the TailGator Green Team Game-day Recycling program started in 2006.

"A lot of major accomplishments are made, not just by our office but by hundreds of people in their own departments," Sims said.

Through various organizations, about 3,000 students are involved with sustainability at UF.

Gators Going Green, a Student Government agency for sustainability, was started three years ago to address the needs of the Student Body and establish environmental awareness.

"We try to be a bridge between students, student organizations and UF," said Brittnie Baker, director of Gators Going Green.

Although UF is advanced in sustainability compared to similar universities, before the formation of Gators Going Green it was lacking student involvement, said Baker, a 22-year-old political science senior.

One event the agency co-hosted with the Office of Sustainability was a workshop teaching organizations how to be more sustainable.

"We're continuing to develop partnerships with offices throughout campus," Sims said. "We want to reach out and get more students and faculty involved."