Thursday, September 26, 2024

Indie band Ra Ra Riot is coming to UF for a free concert at 8 p.m. Oct. 13 at the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom.

The event is free and open to the public. No student identification is required.

Wristbands for the event will be provided at the door beginning at 5:30 p.m. Due to limited space, they will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Reitz Union Board Entertainment is funding the event, but organizers declined to comment on how much Ra Ra Riot is being paid for its performance.

Kelly Richard, journalism senior, and Rachel Ring, management sophomore, are the co-directors of RUB Entertainment's band committee.

Richard said she thought the band would be a great fit for an on-campus concert. Also, the band's debut album was ranked on Rolling Stone's Top 50 Greatest Album's list in 2008, she said.

"We heard that they were really good live," Richard said.

Ra Ra Riot formed at Syracuse University in 2006. Since then, the group has released three studio albums.

The UF show marks the group's last performance before appearing at the DeLuna Festival in Pensacola Beach.

Richard said RUB Entertainment holds free concerts each week on campus at Orange & Brew that feature local talent.

Local groups Morningbell and Rex or Regina will open for Ra Ra Riot.

According to the event's Facebook page, backpacks and cameras are prohibited at the concert.

Also, security guards will check bags at entry.

Jessie Blohm, international relations freshman and a Ra Ra Riot fan, plans to attend the show.

"Each band member contributes something unique, whether it's an instrument or their vocals, making them one of my favorite bands," Blohm said. "When I first heard about Ra Ra Riot coming to UF, I was beyond excited."