Sunday, September 15, 2024

While other universities are considering the introduction of coed dorms, UF students shouldn't hold their breath waiting for this change on their campus.

As administration at the University of California at Los Angeles talks about the possible addition of gender-inclusive housing, some students at UF are wondering if the same will happen here.

The University of California at Berkeley and Stanford University already have gender-inclusive accommodations.

UF has policies in place to address special accommodation requests from individuals on a case-by-case basis, including transgender students. However, not all students currently have the option to room with the opposite sex.

If student interest in this type of housing were to increase, housing staff would gather input from involved staff, student leaders and administration to review existing policies and procedures, said Sharon Blansett, assistant to the associate vice president for student affairs.

However, since interest is limited, men and women will not be rooming together in undergraduate residence halls in the near future.

It could take a minimum of three years to get the option of having gender-inclusive dorm rooms, Blansett said.

The process would involve an exploration process, writing proposals, gaining approvals and moving to new policies and procedures.

Student opinion on the matter varies.

Tanya Naravane, a 21-year-old microbiology senior, said gender-inclusive dorm rooms wouldn't be a good idea.

"Guys and girls live differently," Naravane said. "It would be awkward trying to dress, and it could cause issues."

But Carlo Claudio, a 21-year-old sports management senior, believes UF students should have the option of living in gender-inclusive dorms.

"I think it would be awesome," Claudio said. "I don't think it is a big deal or see any reason why not."