Sunday, September 15, 2024

Student petition protests moving of library collections

Traci Reynolds puts up a fight.

The 23-year-old speech language pathology master's student at UF created a petition, which has collected more than 1,300 signatures as of Wednesday, to prevent the Architecture and Fine Arts Library and the Music Library from moving their collections to Library West.

"I saw that everyone had an opinion and seemed to be talking openly about what could or should be done, but none were really doing anything about it," she said.

Overcrowding and high traffic are issues that would only be heightened by the arrival of other collections, Reynolds said in the petition.

If administration decides to move the collections, the students and faculties of the College of Design, Construction and Planning and College of Fine Arts would no longer have the luxury of the collections being in their own buildings.

However, moving the collections would make them more accessible, considering that Library West is open longer than the other libraries.

Christopher Silver, dean of the College of Design, Construction and Planning, has said his college would assist the fine arts programs in finding space-saving innovations similar to its own.