Thursday, September 19, 2024

With a new semester and a new football season around the corner, the Gators aren’t the only ones “trying to get better each and every day.”

To paraphrase head coach Will Muschamp — who joins yours truly as a new boss in town this season — journalism is something that’s very important to us here at alligatorSports.

While Muschamp and his coaching staff can’t guarantee you a Southeastern Conference or national championship in their first season, my staff and I can guarantee you the finest sports section in the SEC — heck, even in America. After all, we are the nation’s largest (and best) student-run paper.

But like Muschamp and the shift to a pro-style offense and a new, booming defense, we here at alligatorSports have some changes of our own to improve our product on the field — or wherever you’re reading this.

Be heard: While Muschamp is all about his “One Voice” campaign, where he is currently the sole source of any real information from the team, we here at alligatorSports want to know what you, the readers, think.

We’re going to try our hand at a mailbag feature where we field reader questions about the football team — and other UF sports — life, or anything you may want to ask us. Questions can be submitted on Twitter: @alligatorSports. If you’re living in the Stone Age, you can email them to sports@alligator.org.

Follow the leader(s): Speaking of Twitter, each of our four football beat writers and columnists are on there. Follow us for Gators news, tidbits, thoughts and just general awesomeness. Our handles can be found below our handsome mug shots with our columns (see: above and on page 38).

It mean grind: The daily edition of the Alligator and Twitter aren’t the only ways to get content from us, either, as we will continue our foray into multimedia endeavors.

Although we lost longtime host Adam Berry, who was called up to the big leagues, the alligatorSports Podcast is still going strong with new host Greg Luca.

We will be podcasting twice a week during football season, and you can listen to us either on alligatorSports.org or on iTunes (where you can also subscribe to our podcast). You can also send us feedback at podcast@alligator.org or on our Facebook page: facebook.com/alligatorpodcast.

We will continue the alligatorSports Video Show we introduced in the spring, also with some tweaks to help improve our product, so be on the lookout for that on our website.

The return of The Rally: We’re resurrecting a feature in which two of our columnists will debate back-and-forth a sports topic and pepper in some pop culture references for good measure. Think Kanye and Jay-Z’s “Watch the Throne” — but with sports.

Objectivity is key: Just a friendly reminder that we aren’t Florida fans. That doesn’t mean we’re out to get the Gators. It just means we don’t have a rooting interest in the teams we cover, so keep that in mind before you send us feedback (which we encourage you do).

We don’t have an agenda – other than putting together the best sports section we can for you, the readers.

Contact Tom Green at tgreen@alligator.org