Friday, September 20, 2024

Welcome to Gainesville, home of the University of Florida and Santa Fe College at the heart of The Gator Nation.

We are excited to welcome our approximately 60,000 students who bring so much vitality to the Gainesville community.

I wish to extend our community's warmest greetings and encourage you to actively pursue your diverse interests and dreams over the course of the year.

Gainesville is certainly the place to make things happen.

Gainesville is home to a plethora of opportunities, resources and endless entertainment.

Of course UF and SFC offer many exciting athletic events, but Gainesville also has many other opportunities for enjoyment.

From spending time at our exceptionally beautiful lakes, streams and trails to heading downtown for our art festivals or annual fairs, there is always something to do.

To our newest members of the Gainesville community and The Gator Nation: Being a Gator will change your life.

I first came to UF in 1982 to receive my master's degree in zoology, and I immediately fell in love with the city's pulse and outstanding relationship with the university.

Becoming a member of The Gator Nation and the Gainesville community was so exceptional that I stayed and was elected mayor of the city 28 years later.

The college years are transformational, and I truly wish you the best of luck embarking on your 2011-12 journey.

Ahead of you will find great sports, inspirational teachers and colleagues, and the ability to accomplish anything you put your mind to.

I can only hope that Gainesville and The Gator Nation will impact you the same way it impacted me.

My door is always open at City Hall, but also make sure to visit the city's website at www.cityofgainesville.org for updates or events in your area.

I wish you a productive year in all your endeavors.

As always, go Gators!

Craig Lowe is the mayor of Gainesville.