Thursday, September 26, 2024

Humane Society supports UF's Meatless Mondays

Congratulations to UF for participating in Meatless Monday ("Meatless Mondays are vital for creating a healthier campus," Aug. 23).

There are many compelling reasons to go meat-free once a week. Some people support Meatless Monday because of the positive consequences for billions of animals raised for the dinner table.

On modern factory farms, animals are packed into warehouses, often with so little space they can't even turn around. Most people would naturally choose more meat-free meals if they saw the fear and pain animals suffer in factory farms every day of their short lives.

Reducing our meat consumption has environmental benefits, too. The U.N. estimates the meat industry, along with the dairy and egg industries, generates a huge portion of man-made greenhouse gas emissions.

Whether it's to reduce your carbon footprint, improve your health, or to help prevent animal suffering, choosing meat-free meals one day a week is a win-win. Visit humanesociety.org/meatfree for easy vegetarian recipes and meal tips.

Paul Shapiro

Senior Director, Farm Animal Protection

The Humane Society of the United States