Friday, September 27, 2024

A new club in Gainesville is giving away $2,500 in prizes to celebrate its grand opening.

The festivities at Fubar, once known as Silver-Q, will include a beer pong tournament and scooter raffle Monday at 9 p.m.

The two-story club, 225 W. University Ave., was recently renovated and will include a $100,000 lighting and sound system.

Anyone 18 years and older can enter the nine-table tournament for $10 a person as long as one team member is 21 or older.

The first through fourth place teams will win cash prizes ranging from $50 to $500.

Everyone who attends opening night will receive a raffle ticket for a chance to win a $1,500 scooter from New Scooters 4 Less.

There will be free drinks all night, and two live DJs will play a mixture of electro, house and hip-hop music.

The Fubar in Orlando is one of the University of Central Florida’s most popular bars, so the owner, Matt Merdian, 35, decided to open one in downtown Gainesville.

He said someone would have to go to Los Angeles or Las Vegas to be able to experience the same kind of light show his club will provide.

Monday nights will be called Mug Night Mondays, where there will be weekly $250 beer pong tournaments.

Aside from opening night, the cover will cost $9 to receive a Fubar mug and unlimited drinks.

“We’ll be having the most ridiculous drink specials that Gainesville has ever seen,” Merdian said.

The club is non-smoking, which he said allows for a healthier environment.

“Most people generally do appreciate not having to feel like they have to burn their clothes, shave their head and scrape their skin off at the end of the night,” Merdian said.