Friday, September 20, 2024

It was 11:59 p.m., and only one minute remained until the U.S. federal government was set to shut down.

This was the situation that confronted our nation on Friday.

Fortunately for those depending on governmental resources, especially for our military, a shutdown was avoided for at least another week.

More importantly, for the nation as a whole, many of the larger substantive issues that prompted our current fiscal crises have been brought to light during the current debate over governmental funding.

While many Americans seem to be getting the message that our government cannot continue to borrow and spend money at will, many of these same people do not seem willing to bear the hardships these cuts inevitably engender.

Our own state provides a telling example of this. Rick Scott ran for governor on a platform of cutting excess waste from the state’s budget, lowering the state deficit and keeping taxes low for all Floridians. Setting aside the governor’s past business indiscretions and personal problems, one fact is certain. Now that he is in office, Gov. Scott is fulfilling many of the promises he made on the campaign trail. This seems to surprise and upset many, which in itself is revealing about our current political culture.

However, this is a new reality we all must face. Budget cuts must be made. Any rational person can look at the current spending habits of our federal government and many of our state governments and know they cannot continue.

However, politicians, afraid of the backlash that inevitably will arise from making these cuts, are hesitant to make the changes. This is why we, as citizens, must show our support for deep budget cuts that will place us on a path to a more stable financial future.

Right now, much of our federal discretionary spending goes toward funding social entitlement programs. It certainly is not popular to rework funding for these programs, but it must be done. No college-aged individual would see social security if the program continues in its present form. Every generation of Americans has been called upon to sacrifice for the greater good of its country, and this  crisis is no different. It will require all Americans to sacrifice. While this is not a politically popular position, it is a realistic one.

In the upcoming months and years, it also would be beneficial to engage in a discussion of how to distribute the tax burden among our citizens more fairly and equally. Would it be fair to redistribute wealth from the rich to the poor simply because the former have been more successful? No. Would it be fair to adopt a flat tax where everyone pays a fixed percentage of their income? No. Would it be fair to require everyone to pay taxes in proportion to the services provided to them and the goods they receive? Yes. Not only would this system further more effective and efficient market allocation of resources, but it also would comport with modern notions of fundamental fairness. A person would be taxed on how much he or she spends rather than on how much he or she earns.

All Americans must take these considerations seriously. As a nation, we are facing a financial crisis unseen in modern times. Unless we begin to reform now, there will be a time when it is 11:59 p.m., and a permanent crisis cannot be averted.

Zack Smith is a first-year law student. His columns appear on Mondays.