Friday, September 27, 2024

Drag queen and reality TV show host RuPaul will appear on April 7 as Pride Awareness Month’s keynote speaker.

The famous cross-dresser, who will be paid $20,000 for her appearance, will be in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom to represent this year’s theme: A Portrait of Self-expression.

Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. for the event.

This year’s PAM will start with today’s 7 p.m. opening ceremonies, followed by events throughout the end of March and all of April including movie screenings, a drag show and the keynote speaker.

Speaker director Chris Bryan said choosing a speaker involved factoring cost and finding someone who would increase turnout and attract more people outside of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community.

Attracting attention to this PAM in and out of the LGBTQ community is something that Bryan hopes to increase from last year.

PAM has a website, Twitter, blog and Facebook in order to increase attention and create a presence on campus.

“Social media plays a huge role,” Bryan said. “Proper marketing and word of mouth are a very important factor in attendance.”

PAM has been working with Gainesville retailers for donations for events like Paint Your Orgasm to be held on the Reitz Union North Lawn on April 6. Students will express themselves by painting T-shirts that PAM hopes to get donated.