Sunday, September 22, 2024

For three culture-infused hours, 66 years of life was celebrated.

As “No Woman, No Cry” blasted from speakers on the Reitz Union North Lawn, the life of singer and songwriter Bob Marley was honored by the Jamaican-American Student Association.

The program, called “One Love: The Bob Marley Celebration,” was held to commemorate Marley and bring together people who appreciated his life.

“Bob Marley was an icon in Jamaica,” JAMSA member Anna-Kay Forrester said. “His music and his lyrics impacted Jamaica and all the people that live there.”

People walking to and from the Reitz Union were drawn to the celebration by the music from the speakers of Barrington Guthrie Jr. Guthrie is known on the radio as Mr. Magnum, a disc jockey from WTMG Magic 101.3 FM.

This is the fourth year JAMSA has put on this event. Unfortunately, not as large of a crowd came out this year, Guthrie said; other members agreed.

“I expected a bigger turnout,” said Brandon Young, the assistant treasurer of JAMSA. “Then there’s the rain, and there’s the Super Bowl, but people can celebrate Bob Marley’s life wherever they want. In their homes or with their friends is good, too.”

A poster of a Jamaican flag with a cutout of Marley’s face was displayed for students to take pictures in.  Next to it was  a stack of trivia questions about Marley and his music.

Refreshments and a birthday cake celebrating  Marley’s birthday were also provided by JAMSA.