Friday, September 27, 2024

The university’s commitment to diversity will be in the spotlight Friday as the 2010 Black Male Summit will take place Friday at 5:30 p.m. in Pugh Hall.

The event is hosted by the Institute of Black Culture and the Multicultural and Diversity Affairs office. Sponsors include Accent Speakers Bureau, the Black Student Union and Student Government.

The half-day summit will explore the challenges that black males face at UF.  Participants will discuss why these challenges occur and what the university can do to remove barriers that hinder black men from achieving success.

“I think the Black Male Summit is important because of the negative portrayal of black men in the media,” said Demetri Morgan, the coordinator of the summit. “The goal of the event is to create an environment for people to increase their understanding of what black males experience at UF.”

The summit will feature a keynote address by Shaun Harper, a student affairs expert from the University of Pennsylvania.

Dominique Martin, a political science junior, said he often has to dispel stereotypes many people may have about how a black male behaves.

“It’s a burden and a blessing, I have to represent the entire race,” he said. “That responsibility serves as my motivation to always do my best no matter what.”